Monday, January 11, 2010

500 days of summer 2009



"This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front, this is not a love story. "
*Spoilers might be included
Must start by saying that most indi movies are pretty much close to the really weird side of life and although 500 DOS is on the romantic kind of weird it's a really well done movie. Is it another chick-flick? you could say so, although not the cheesy expected-ending kind of movie.
While this movie was still on its production state and the clips and previews were just coming out I had to think over the title three, four times, and couldn't get over the idea that any summer could last that long =P thought of some fictional crap where winter, spring or fall did not exist, and then...there was light, the girl's name is Summer, so the story obviously recounts a love story on a 500 days lapse, really enlightening, hehe.
For the most part this was a very likable film (awesomely enjoyable if you ask me), but there are still people who couldn't relate to it, and I get it. The director (Marc Webb) plays with the timeline of the movie all along, and some might need to watch it at least twice to fully understand its plot or the order of the events. One moment you see the couple (Joseph Gordon-Levit as Tom and Zooey Deschanel as Summer) living the most relationship-like moments and next you see them splitting up or having an empty moment.
I love the movie because its pretty simple in an odd way; simple since the message it delivers tries to relate to most of those who haven't fully succeeded in the complex game of love. The actors do an awesome job, and the director deserves an Oscar; you don't get to see the hot chick with the buffed up guy (nothing wrong with that, though), these are down to earth looking people, must say they are not ugly in any way, most definitely cute and not over done.
If you wanna see this movie take into consideration that, as said on its trailer, "this is not a love story, it's a story about love", so you can expect anything to happen. PS: expect cold-hearted love.
ha! almost forgot... the soundtrack rocks. Faves: Us by Regina Spektor (you should check her music out, pretty cool...i recommend: Fidelity, Samson, and Better... just saying), You Make My Dreams by  Hall & Oates, Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap, and She's Got You High by Mumm-ra.

Before break-up feelings>>
Tom: I love her smile. I love her hair. I love her knees. I love how she licks her lips before she talks. I love her heart-shaped birthmark on her neck. I love it when she sleeps. 
Post break-up feelings >>
Tom: I hate her crooked teeth. I hate her 1960s haircut. I hate her knobby knees. I hate her cockroach-shaped splotch on her neck. I hate the way she smacks her lips before she talks. I hate the way she sounds when she laughs. 

1 comment:

  1. This movie is <3. *sigh*
    Favorite part: THE END! So unexpectedly... expected. :)

    ReplyDelete